Click on this file link. Here you will find information useful for writing news stories and presenting information about the Rouge River watershed and Friends of the Rouge. If you have any questions about this information, please contact our office at 313.792.9900.
History, Services, and More
Friends of the Rouge is a local non-profit organization dedicated to promoting restoration and stewardship of the Rouge River through education and citizen involvement. Since 1986, we have been encouraging people to take action and get directly involved in cleaning up and restoring their streams. We're also leading efforts to educate both young people and adults about the causes and effects of river pollution, and promoting understanding of what can be done about it. One of our goals is to help everyone achieve a sense of "ownership" of their streams and the watershed.
Rouge River Watershed Facts
- The Rouge River has four main branches- the Main, Upper, Middle and Lower
- These branches total 126 miles of river.
- The watershed drains 467 square miles of land.
- Forty-seven units of government are located within the watershed.
- The watershed communities are home to nearly 1.35 million people