Date(s) - 06/02/23
1pm - 4pm
Claude Allison Park
- Activity: Litter Clean-up
- Activity: Planting / Maintaining rain gardens or habitat gardens
- Difficulty: Level 2—light effort, standing, walking, some bending, lifting 5-10 pounds
- Difficulty: Level 3—moderate activity, bending, kneeling, digging, lifting 10-15 pounds
- Family Friendly
- Restrooms available onsite
Join in and make an enormous difference for your Rouge River!
Site Coordinator: Rosina Newton, Restoration Assistant, Friends of the Rouge
Project description: Thank you for your interest in working for a better Rouge River by sprucing up the rain gardens at Claude Allison Park this spring!
Maintaining this garden gives our native plants what they need to grow and spread, so they can continue to do their job of collecting and filtering stormwater coming off of the pavement, providing habitat for songbirds and pollinators, and looking beautiful!
To maintain these gardens at this time of year, we may be:
- Pulling out weeds
- Cutting back winter stems and spreading their seeds back into the garden
- Picking up trash
- Planting new native plants
- Doing other maintenance tasks
We provide the tools! Bring your favorite pair of gloves, or we will provide some. Bring your own drinking water bottle; we will provide snacks!
Workday location: Claude Allison Park – 18250 Beech Daly, Redford Charter Twp, MI 48240
From the parking lot, walk on the sidewalk between the tennis courts and the fitness court, then follow the sidewalk to the left (behind the tennis courts), then to the right. The garden is on your right.
Questions or accessibility-related needs? Please email Volunteer Coordinator Rosina Newton – RNewton@therouge.org
Accessibility & Difficulty: Light effort, standing, walking, bending, lifting 5-10 pounds
Thank you for joining us for a cleaner Rouge River and a healthier Southeast Michigan!